We currently do not provide family law advice. Please check the list of organisations on this page who may be able to assist with your query.


Legal Aid for Family Law

Please note  that Legal Aid is not available for many family law issues, but if your case involves any of the following then you may be able to get advice under Legal Aid:

  • Domestic Abuse (including psychological, physical, financial, sexual or emotional abuse)
  • Harassment (by a partner or ex-partner or family member)
  • Forced marriage (if you are worried that you may be a victim of forced marriage)
  • Female Genital Mutilation (if you are worried that you may be a victim of FGM)
  • Enforcing an injunction (if your partner or ex-partner is ignoring an injunction you have already taken out)
  • Contesting an injunction (if you want to contest an injunction that has been taken out against you)
  • Children being taken into care or adoption (if social services have contacted you with concerns about your child or want to take your child into care)
  • Child Abduction
  • You are a family member seeking contact with a child in your family who has been a victim of child abuse.
  • International Family Maintenance (you are seeking advice to enforce an order for family maintenance outside the UK)
  • Family Mediation – if you want help to reach an agreement about divorce or separation, arrangements for the children or financial arrangements.

If you are unsure whether your problem is covered or want to check that you are financially eligible for Legal Aid you can contact Civil Legal Advice, a national advice line to help people check if they can get Legal Aid (details below).

The Family Mediation Council website can help you find a local family mediator who will provide services funded by Legal Aid.

For other family problems free advice is not generally available unless your case involves domestic abuse or you are under 18.  However, if your case is very important to you, it is very complicated or you will be unable represent yourself, and you qualify financially for Legal Aid then a solicitor may be able to apply for Exceptional Case Funding for you from the Legal Aid Agency.

How to contact the Civil Legal Advice service:

1. Online:
You can contact Community Legal Advice online at https://www.gov.uk/check-legal-aid
You will be asked to fill out an online form with details of your circumstances, your finances and your legal problem. You can then ask for an advisor at Civil Legal Advice to call you back.

2. By telephone:
Alternatively you can telephone the Civil Legal Advice Service
On 0845 345 4345
Minicom 0845 609 6677
Lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 12.30pm
Calls cost 4pm a minute from a BT landline and usually more from a mobile.

The Financial Assessment:
Not all family problems need a financial assessment, some (for example if your child is being taken into care) do not have any financial test.
If Legal Aid is only available if you are financially eligible then you may be eligible for Legal Aid if
• your income (or combined income if you have a partner) is not more than £2,657 a month before tax
• your savings (or combined savings if you have a partner) are not more than £8,000
For the financial assessment you will need to have the following information for both you and your partner:
• Recent payslips showing your income tax and National Insurance contributions (if you’re working) and bank statements;
• Details of any benefits you receive;
• Details of any savings or investments;
• Mortgage statements and a current valuation for any property you own.

How to contact the Family Mediation Council:

1. Online:

2. Telephone
On 01707 594 055 between 9am and 3pm Monday to Friday

If you do not qualify for Legal Aid financially, or your case is not covered by Legal Aid, then you may still be able to see a solicitor directly but are likely to have to pay for their services.

Find a Solicitor:

If you need help to find a solicitor who may be able to help you with your problem the Law Society’s Find a Solicitor tool can provide you with the contact details for local solicitors.

Telephone: 020 7320 5650 (Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:30 charged at local call rates)

Website: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

Useful Organisations
24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline

The helpline is an emergency service and is not intended to offer general information on domestic violence. Helpline staff respond according to the caller’s needs and may refer women (with or without children) to emergency safe accommodation.
They also provide information about legal, housing or welfare rights and options and referral to relevant services and professions.

Tel: 0808 2000 247

Email: helpline@womensaid.org.uk

Cafcass (Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service)

Cafcass is a government body that aims to make sure that children’s welfare is put first during family court proceedings.

Tel: 0300 456 4000
Child Maintenance Options

Child Maintenance Options is a confidential and impartial helpline that is separate to the Child Support Agency (CSA) and provides free information about how to put in place maintenance arrangements for children.

Tel: 0800 988 0988
Coram Family, Child & Education Legal Advice

Coram Children’s Legal Centre provides free legal information and advice to children, their families and carers, as well as free legal representation to those who qualify for legal aid. The centre also offers international consultancy on child law and children’s rights. The centre’s lawyers have expertise in all areas of family, child and education law, including domestic violence, child protection, immigration and asylum and school admissions.

Tel: 0300 330 5480

Web: www.coram.org.uk/

Families Need Fathers

Families Need Fathers helps parents to retain, develop and make best use of the children’s relationship with them. It provides books and leaflets, a website, support workshops, a telephone helpline and internet forums in which members offer and seek support.

Tel: 0300 0300 363

Web: https://fnf.org.uk/

Family Lives

Family Lives provides a free confidential helpline offering information, guidance, support and advice on any aspect of parenting and family life, including bullying. Their website also contains a wide range of resources offering parenting advice.

Tel: 0808 800 2222

Family Rights Group
Family Rights Group provides independent advice, information and advocacy to families involved with social services about the care and protection of their children in England and Wales.
Tel: 0808 801 0366

Emotional and practical support for LGBT people experiencing domestic abuse. “Abuse isn’t always physical – it can be psychological, emotional, financial and sexual too.”

Tel: 0800 999 5428

Email: help@galop.org.uk

Gingerbread Single Parent Helpline

This free helpline provides support and advice to single parents on anything from dealing with a break-up, to going back to work or sorting out maintenance, to benefit or tax credit issues

Tel: 0808 802 0925

Web: www.gingerbread.org.uk/

Manchester Free Legal Help

Family Law clinics: every Monday from 1-3pm, and the 1st, 2nd and last Friday of the month from 10am-12pm

Can assist with legal issues surrounding relationship breakdown such as divorce, division of assets and property rights and contact with children. The clinic operates on a drop-in basis and we can only offer a limited number of slots. It is recommend that clients arrive as early as they can to ensure that they’re seen on the day. Registration opens 15 minutes prior to the start of the Family Law clinic.

Tel: 0161 240 5034

Web: www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/legal-advice-centre


Room L02.12, Manchester Civil Justice Centre, Manchester , M60 9DJ
Men’s Advice Line

Men’s Advice Line provides support, information and practical advice for male victims of domestic violence.

Tel: 0808 801 0327 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm)


University of Law East Manchester Legal Advice Clinic

Provide assistance with employment law queries.

Tel: 01483 216924 (please leave your contact details to be considered for an appointment at the clinic & they will call you back)