Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and how we can help you


WEDNESDAY: PIP Form completion

THURSDAY: PIP Form completion

All advice at Greater Manchester Law Centre, 159 Princess Road, Moss Side, Manchester, M14 4RE.

Please book your appointment by visiting GMLC, calling reception on 0161 769 2244 or emailing We are open Monday to Thursday 10am-3pm, and Fridays for appointments only.

What is Personal Independence Payment?

Personal Independence Payments otherwise known as PIP is a non means-tested benefit that replaced Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for people aged between 16 and 64 from April 2013. PIP is intended to help towards the extra costs of having a long-term health condition or disability. It can be paid to anybody who meets the conditions regardless of their income, savings or the amount of National Insurance Contributions that you have paid over the years.

Awards will be made to you if your health condition or disability has the required degree of impact on your ability to take part in everyday life. It will be made up of a daily living component and a mobility component. Within each component there will be a standard and an enhanced rate.

A person can be awarded either or both of the two components of PIP:

  • To qualify for the standard rate, your ability to undertake daily living or mobility activities must be ‘limited’ by your physical or mental condition; or
  • To qualify for the enhanced rate, your ability to undertake daily living or mobility activities must be ‘severely limited’ by your physical or mental condition.

How will Personal Independence Payments affect my other benefits?

  • If you are entitled to the daily living component of PIP, then a carer may be able to claim carer’s allowance for looking after you.
  • PIP will not be counted as income for means-tested benefits or tax credits.
  • If you are entitled to PIP, you will have access to the system of disability premiums and additions in the current benefits system, and disability elements for tax credits, in a similar way to Disability Living Allowance.
  • If you get the enhanced rate of the PIP mobility component, you can have access to the Motability scheme if your award has over a year left to run.

What we can do for you

  • We will assist you in completing the claim form for Personal Independence Payments, known as a PIP claim form.
  • We will accompany those who we have completed claim forms to the medical assessment.
  • We will provide advice and assistance to those who have received a negative decision on their PIP claims.